Monday, February 25, 2008

SUNDAY ON THE BOARDWALK




I was up early on this warm sunny Sunday morning and I headed to the boardwalk which starts right behind our door! The wind was calm and the bay was smooth. As I walked around the boardwalk, the first rays of the morning sun were just coming thru and I saw at least 20 Snowy Egrets, Great Egrets, White Ibis and a Rosy Spoonbill sitting on the railing in front of me. Of course I didn't have the camera with me and yes- all the birds flew away when I got too near. I finished my 1/2 mile around and quickly went to get the camera. On my second time around, about a dozen of the white birds had returned to the railing and I was ready!! I took several pictures before they flew again and then as I was finishing up my walk I noticed the gang had gathered again in one of the many small ponds that are there in the marsh. More pictures! See if you can find the Rosy Spoonbill!
We even put the kayaks in the water for the first time! We tried a boat launch on the Chocolate River/Bayou but it looked like chocolate and Harry was not comfortable with it so we came back and put them in the bay, right off of our beach. We didn't see anything different but we saw it from a different angle. Harry was all tuckered out so he found his book and his chair in the sun and worked on touching up his winter tan. The beach was full of families and the townsfolk all came out to enjoy the boardwalk